Monday, February 18, 2008

On Beer

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Berry

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."
-Winston Churchill
There is nothing quite like a good, cold beer. I mean a good beer, not the goat's urine that most "U.S. Americans" drink. This past football season, I was watching a football game, don't quite recall which one, and chatting it up with the lads on the FO unofficial IRC channel, when a Miller Lite commercial came on. Apparently there's this thing called the World Beer Cup or something, and Miller Lite has won the gold medal for "Best Tasting American-Style Light Lager" or some such thing. Someone on the IRC, I think it was Travis, typed, "they have awards for crappy beer?" That kinda brings it home. There's beer, and then there's bad beer. I, for one, like good beer. Here's the current list of my favourite beers.

The Beer List:
  1. Newcastle Brown Ale
  2. Guinness
  3. Smithwick's
  4. John Courage
  5. Shiner Bock
  6. Blackstone Brown Nut Ale
  7. Sam Adam's Boston Lager
  8. Amber Bock
  9. Corona
  10. Blue Moon
That's the top ten, as it currently stands. I try and rotate what I get, right now I've got some Blue Moon and Sam Adam's.

Is there a good beer I'm missing up there? Any great micro-brews in your neck of the woods?